Thursday 9 December 2010

Ubuntu 10.10, 64Bit, Blue Tooth.

If your blue tooth is not working, here is a solution for you :D, fingers cross and hope it work. I have been searching the web ever since I got my brand new blue tooth keyboard over a year ago. Today I lucky stumble up on www.bluez.org and they just release a new bluez that claim to fix regression. Unfortunately ubuntu don't have it in the repository yet so I have to build it. Excited, I try it out and it works for me, hopefully it work for you too.

The solution is not perfect, but I have restarted my computer a few time and my blue tooth keyboard still worked nicely.

We are going to compile the latest bluez 4.81, with out the regression that have dread the ubuntu blue tooth since version 9.4(that when I got my beautiful keyboard)

Installing some dependency
sudo aptitude install build-essential bison zlib1g-dev zlib1g

Visit http://www.gtk.org/download-linux.html for the latest glib
wget http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/glib/2.26/glib-2.26.1.tar.gz
cd /glib-2.26.1/
./configure
make 
sudo make install

Visit http://www.bluez.org for the latest drivers
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/bluetooth/bluez-4.81.tar.gz
tar -xvf bluez*.tar.gz
cd bluez-4.81
./configure
make
sudo make install
Restart your computer and it should work beautifully.

At this point I was feeling pretty happy so I play around abit and screw it up :D
If you are still experiencing problem try the following:
Check hciconfig in console
hciconfig 
hci0: Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
 BD Address: 00:1F:81:00:02:50  ACL MTU: 1021:4  SCO MTU: 180:1
 UP RUNNING PSCAN 
 RX bytes:80028 acl:4395 sco:0 events:52 errors:0
 TX bytes:617 acl:12 sco:0 commands:28 errors:0

If you see "UP RUNNING PSCAN", then you can start adding new devices and start using your blue tooth.

Otherwise do the following:
Bring down the interface
sudo hciconfig hci0 down

Bring up the interface
sudo hciconfig hci0 up
Bring the interface up can cause some problems.
If the interface keep timing out pull the blue tooth out and plug it back in.
If hciconfig complain about rfkill do the following
sudo rfkill unblock bluetooth
Go back and check

Hopefully ubuntu team integrate the new bluez fix as soon as possible.

Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment